martedì 24 febbraio 2009

Crossroads

That sunday was a very cold day. Yet there was a shining sun which the cold wind made even more brilliant. Everything was so light and clear...

So, let's go outside for a long walk along secondary country roads.

After a while one of the most typical element of the walking on the countryroads was approaching: the crossroad.


A crossroad always hides a sense of doubt and uncertainty both in case of known and (even more uncertainty) unknown roads. The crossroad along these secondary roads has almost always no indication making me wonder: "and now, where I go?"

By ancient times, crossroads are accompanied by small chapels today hosting Holy Mary statues or a cross. Yet in the past these chapels have hosted for millennia the Lares Compitales, Roman Gods of the crossroads (compitum=crossroad). To chase away these Gods, christians rooted the idea among peasants (who were pagans pagus=village) that in the crossroads there was the Devil. For this reason today we find there images of saints, Mary of a cross.

I remain always rather hesitant in front of a crossroad: even when knowing both directions and even looking at the indications. Even for a very short moment I always feel the same sense of disconfort and my steps become hesitant: I standstill. Sometimes I stop walking looking to the right and to the left to understand where the roads goes...


In this case, that morning, I have found in this crossroad an old stone sign like a milestone where the indications were rather clearly written: well, I had however a moment of doubt and uncertainty...

Nonetheless, even if creating moments of disconfort, crossroads remain irreplaceable particular fellow travellers... Mind the Devil!!

OK! Let's take this way... ehm!

Nessun commento: