venerdì 13 febbraio 2009

Lost Tales/2: The Story of Father Rufus

It's a wonderful sunny day, maybe a little colder, but however a good day for walking with no destination. Many crossroads, many secondary country roads. Nobody, only silence, the birds' singing. The wind shaking grass...

The Story of Father Rufus and "Nothing"

Walking on this lonely silent country road: suddenly a small church comes out, alongside a climb: I've never noticed this little church even if I have passed here several times before...



This small church seems abandoned. The door is even locked with a padlock. I think to myself that here just very few devotees arrive to pray and surely not recently...




I come close to see better and to peek into when suddenly I hear a door opening from the rear; quickly a small man, with a long white beard, friar dressed, appears.


- Hi! I'm sorry! I was just looking inside because I have never noticed this church before - I said quite embarrassed.
- No problem ! No problem - he replied giggling - After all here I meet very few visitors. Well, the last one passed here about..., let me see... it was the... no, no it was the year of the... Well! I can't remember! Maybe it was yesterday or 100 years ago. What's the difference?

In the meantime, the little friar sat on a stone bench to enjoy the warm sunlight in this cold winter day
- May I sit too? Just to rest for a while and then I'll take my walk again. - I said while caming close to him.
- Please sit here, sit here - he replied - Unfortunately I've got nothing to offer to you because here there's nothing! But let me introduce myself: I'm Father Rufus and I've been living here since... let me see... it was... or maybe it was... I always remember nothing! Maybe I've been always here.

Looking to the sky, Father Rufus began to chatter with his voice similar to a lullaby...
- It is since... let me remember... I can't remember how long I celebrate the service alone. I've celebrated the service for centuries for "nothing" - he kept on telling and giggling.
- After all "nothing" is also a kind and nice fellow. He has never protested for my sermons even when they were rather boring. I've been in good company with him. He remained always here with me, without disturbing me.

- Excuse me - I said interrupting his lullaby - but how it can be possible? I've never noticed this church before...
- It's quite simple - he replied with a serious voice.
- "Nothing" something give and something take. Whe he arrives here for the service or to help me in the garden or in the evening just for a talk I cannot understand if he bring me here from somewhere else or if he take me away... Past, present, future, here, there, everywhere... This happens when dealing with "nothing". You'll never know how the things will go... This is the reason why I remember nothing, I have nothing to offer, nothing to eat, nothing to drink, nothing to do, nothing to say..." - after that he remained silent.

- Well! I take my walking again. It has been a pleasure to meet you - I said standing up. But he remained silent. He didn't reply.

While I was about to begin my walk I looked at him once again. he was standing in the sun while he was greeting me with his hand. After a while he disappeared.


Nessun commento: