lunedì 22 dicembre 2008

Walking on a Medieval Road

I often have the occasion to make long walks (with no destination) along country roads. I like also to make beautiful walks in the streets and lanes of the old villages.

Some days ago, I had to go in the village to get a small basket of eggs from a very kind old lady who lives in the village centre: instead of going there directly, I have taken the occasion, as usual, to make a long tour within the village.

Here there are many old medieval streets: these streets are not asphalted but paved with great stones where it is possible to walk very confortably (just if you do not wear stiletto heels which of course in the Middle Age were not in use...)



I walk slowly in the narrow and tortuous lanes making a long tour and meeting often the eyes of some old lady peeking behind the curtains of the window of her diner nook. Cats waiting in the lanes as bosses of the streets and the small squares...



This village is quite small and, even trying to extend the tour, short after I'm in front of the kind old lady. Today is quite cold: so I decide to accept with pleasure the invitation to enter to drink something hot: hot caffee, biscuits and a slice of fruit tart. In the kitchen the basket with eggs is waiting and after an exchange of warm greetings, I take the way to go back home while a cold wind is whislting in the old narrow lanes...

Nessun commento: